Click to see Results Table.
The second row of the above table lists the problems in the six rounds and the third row gives the maximum points available for each problem and the maximum time allowed for each round in a column headed ‘Time’. Each row gives the points scored by each competitor for each problem and also the time taken for each round. The placement of competitors is calculated by points scored, with ties being resolved by time taken.
Except for ex-champions David Friedgood, Jonathan Mestel, Michael McDowell and Graham Lee, finalists not in italics have qualified for the Closed championship through the tough postal round. John Nunn, the defending champion, was not able to compete in this final because of illness. The Open section was made up of solvers (indicated by italics) who hadn't qualified for the final or who were foreign visitors.
Prizes awarded were as follows:-
- 1st Prize and a guaranteed place in the 2009 British Solving Team for the World Championship – Jonathan Mestel
- 2nd Prize – David Friedgood
- 3rd Prize – Colin McNab
- 4th Prize – Graham Lee
- Prize for highest placed non-seeded competitor – John Gemmell
- Prize for second highest placed non-seeded competitor - Tim Sheldon
- Prize for highest placed first-time finalist – William Porter
- 1st Prize - Piotr Murdzia (POL)
- 2nd Prize - Dolf Wissmann (NED)
- 3rd Prize - Ankush Khandelwal